REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. WALK-INS WELCOME AT THE DOOR!
The 12th Annual Patuxent Defense Forum
Jointly presented by
The Patuxent Partnership and
The Center for the Study of Democracy, St. Mary's College of Maryland
“The Arctic Domain: From Economics to National Security”
Tuesday, December 12
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Check-in and coffee at 8:15 a.m.
**Acquisition workforce attendees can earn 8 CL points.
They should be logged manually into eDACM: https://www.atrrs.army.mil/channels/navyedacm/Login/Logout.aspx
- $75 - TPP Members, SMCM Alums, 1634 Society
- No cost for government employees/active duty military
- $100 - Non-TPP Members
ABOUT THE PATUXENT DEFENSE FORUM
This unique forum addresses issues central to U.S. defense and foreign affairs. In this day-long forum, panelists representing policymakers, academics, and government officials, will discuss topics such as U.S. Arctic defense strategy, international frameworks for cooperation, climate change, responsible resource extraction, energy development, tourism, territorial claims and defense issues.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER AND MODERATOR:
Major General Randy "Church" Kee, USAF (retired), Executive Director, Arctic Domain Awareness Center, a DHS CoE, hosted by University of Alaska. MG Kee served as the Director of Strategy and Policy, Headquarters U.S. European Command in Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany before retiring in December 2015.
|8:30 – 9am
|| Moderator and Keynote Speaker - MG Randy "Church" Kee, USAF (retired), Executive Director, Arctic Domain Awareness Center, a DHS CoE, hosted by University of Alaska
|9 – 10:30am
Panel I – Economy vs. Environment, not a zero-sum game Topics include: Resource extraction, energy, destination/ecotourism, climate change/environment
Moderator: Dr. John Farrell, Executive Director, US Arctic Research Commission
- Ms. Helen Brohl, Executive Director U.S.Committee on the Marine Transportation System (CMTS)
- Mr. John Guy, Deputy Executive Director, National Petroleum Council
- Dr. John T. Oliver, Senior Ocean Policy Advisor, USCG HQ
- Ms. Drue Pearce, Deputy Administrator, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation
| 10:45am – 12:15pm
Panel II – Maritime Challenges Across the Arctic Topics include: historical “ownership” interests, the Arctic Map today – opposing views/contested ownership
Moderator: RADM Jon White, USN (ret), President and CEO at Consortium for Ocean Leadership
- Ms. Cara Condit, Executive Director, Center for Arctic Study and Policy, USCGA
- Mr. Michael Emerson, SES, Director for Marine Transportation Systems and Sr. Arctic Policy Advisor, United States Coast Guard HQ
- CDR Ruth Lane, Director and Commanding Officer, U.S. National/Naval Ice Center (NIC)
- Ms. Nichola Payne, Embassy of Canada, Washington
|12:15 – 1:15pm
|1:15 - 3pm
Panel III - National Security in the Arctic (an ‘economy of force’ theater) Topics include: International Agreements and Organizations, U.S. Strategic Policy, Parallels to China’s activities in the South China Sea, Intelligence/Cyber/Space
Moderator: RADM Rudy Peschel, USCG (ret)
- Mr. Sean Moon, DHS - Director, Global Strategy & Policy
- CAPT Harry Schmidt, USCG- Deputy Director, National Maritime Intelligence-Integration Office (NMIO)
- CAPT (N) Steven Thornton, Deputy Commander, JTF North, Yellowknife, NWT
- BG Pekka Toveri, Defence Attaché USA and Canada - Finnish Defence Forces
Afternoon Speaker - Dr. Walter Berbrick, Associate Professor in the War Gaming Department and Founding Director of the Arctic Studies Group at the U.S. Naval War College
| 4 – 4:15pm
Closing Remarks - MG Randy "Church" Kee, USAF (retired), Executive Director, Arctic Domain Awareness Center, a DHS CoE, hosted by University of Alaska
|4:30 - 5:30pm
||Reception at the State House
This program meets the requirements for the Government’s Federal Training Program. Government employees should complete the SF-182, Authorization, Agreement and Certification of Training.
St. Mary's College of Maryland
Cole Cinema, Campus Center
47600 Mill Field Drive, St. Mary's City, MD 20686